In May 1999 a historic agreement was reached to create Scotland's first government in 300 years. Uncharted Territory is a lucid and colourful account of Scottish devolution since that agreement. It covers the whole story:
– the conflicts at Westminster over the Scotland Bill in 1998
– the historic 1999 election and the Scottish Parliament's turbulent first year
– the sudden death of Donald Dewar, the First Minister
– the election of Henry McLeish as Dewar's successor and his scandalous downfall
– the saga of the Scottish Parliament building
– Jack McConnell's term as First Minister and his attempts to impress Scotland's mark on the world
– the SNP's election victory in 2007
– the financial donations scandal that engulfed Wendy Alexander as Labour leader and much more besides.
Pacily written, Uncharted Territory incorporates first-hand interviews and original research to create a clear picture of the early days of devolution - and the larger-than-life characters that have helped to shape them.